Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Week of October 12

Contributing to the Profession - each one of us contribute to the profession in a variety of ways. The text reading offered such rich information, I felt compelled to read the NAEYC Code of Ethics. I felt such a sense of responsibility as I reviewed each statement in relationship to children, families, co-workers, and the community. I had moments of reflection, comparing daily events with several statements listed on the pages. I'm growing as a professional and as a director. I strive to fulfill my role as a guardian of a program serving young children and families. I take my position very seriously, as I know what consequences await if I decide to dilute efforts of quality practices. I felt a sense of renewal every time I review the code. It's so inspiring...

Speaking of feeling inspired, I REALLY enjoyed the HAEYC State Conference!! I attended the Friday, Oct. 9 Leadership Conference and found that sessions were in alignment with the conference theme! It was an excellent conference! It was the perfect way to start the weekend. I had a difficult Thursday (day before the conference). I was dealing with an ethical dilemma at work and needed to face the problem. My situation did not involve health or safety. In Head Start, parents vote for Policy Council representatives. I was directed to ask the families I serve to place a "vote" for individuals from other centers - these include parents from other centers that they don't know. I compared this to asking families to vote for a mayor, governor, or other county official that they don't have any information about. I concluded that it was not a good message to promote - not a practice that I want to teach my parents. If a request is forwarded to parents from me or my office, it's a direct reflection on me and my ethics. I take GREAT pride in setting a good example for families served by my program. The origin of this request came from an administrator that may have misinterpreted information, or received the information from someone that delivered misinformation. Without going into more detail, I can reassure you that I feel at peace with my decision to revise my request by asking families to vote for those they feel most comfortable electing as representatives. I did my research and contacted people that could provide me with the answers, with the facts that I need to make good decisions - to make the right decision.

Advocacy works best in numbers, but it starts with an idea of one person. The Sumsion reading pointed out how grassroots advocacy promotes "catalysts for significant change" (Ettlinger, 2004, pg. 25). Working for a Head Start program, I have witnessed this first hand. Parents are the best advocates I know because they speak from a professional perspective as their child's first teacher. Building confidence for parents to find their voice takes time - the result is priceless! Parents gain skills that last a lifetime - extending in advocating for themselves in addition to their children.
I found interest in the statement on page 7 of our reading, which presented the idea of working with governments. Sumsion wrote "By finding productive ways to work with governments to support and critique their agendas, we can increase our chances of moving activists into 'insider' positions (Dugdale, 1998). It's essential for community leaders to stay closely connected to legislative agendas - what are the priorities and how can we connect efforts of improving services for children and families. How can we sell our idea to lawmakers to create "intense community pressure" that might impact government policy? The recent recommendation to revise DHS licensing requirements will drive change of policy, offering an opportunity to discuss quality, compensation, and staff development.

Another experience regarding advocacy includes parents attending county budget hearings. Parents offer their own story as testimony, focused on how the Head Start program impacts their lives. Several stories are heart-wrenching to listen to, let alone to believe that it actually happened to the person sharing. The parents feel a sense of pride as they share, especially because they are survivors, and can make a difference by offering their experience. Their stories advocate for continued funding to support full day / extended year (wrap around services) for our program. I'm observing how parents are stepping in to voice their thoughts regarding the impact of DOE furlough days. Parents have a strong voice, especially when generated towards a common goal.

In response to last week's comments, I'll attempt to answer some of the inquires. I was born and raised on Maui - this is my home and I love our beautiful islands. As teachers of young children, we are so fortunate to have this space to compliment our work.
I focused on professionalism and establishing boundaries between co-workers. I have to sincerely express that this does not mean the void of establishing caring relationships between co-workers. I know my staff have strong friendships together and I celebrate that as a director. It promotes a caring environment which enhances the nurturing in classrooms - directly impacting young children. My caution was to keep a personal boundary to keep the relationship intact. To quote the 10/6 Exchange Every Day message titled "The Nurturing Boss", the "Gallup's research reveals that many of the most successful managers boast of being 'very close to their employees." I am extremely close to many of my staff - because I care and I value the work they do with young children. My staff have the capacity to touch children and families on a daily basis. The work that I do helps to facilitate this. How can I tell if my intent to care is actually relayed as an authentic value seen by my staff? I believe that the answer is in the Oct. 8 Exchange message of "Retention Interviews". It's early intervention / prevention before staff reach a point of resentment and decides to leave. I conduct an annual assessment which is similar to the recommendation shared. Some questions included in my survey ask if staff feel that their input is incorporated within the program, and if they feel that they are valued as contributing to the success of the program - each question offered the chance to respond "why or why not?". Each response is accepted as a tool for me to learn from. I enter with an open mind, ready to accept that not every response will compliment practices from managers. I avoid taking information personally - instead I choose to utilize the information as a means to make quality improvements that can benefit the whole - myself included.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you realize the importance of your position and the necessity to provide quality care and services to all families involved in your program. I also like how you said that advocacy starts with the idea of one person and works best with numbers. That is so true, they work with each other and one would not work as well without the other. Some people think that their opinion or ideas will not make a difference but all the things that have progressed and changed in this world are because someone thought that it needed to and they acted upon that feeling but in many cases they would not have been able to make much progress without the support of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbi,
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. You are offering all of us such an interesting perspective on being an administrator. Were you originally a parent in Head Start?

    So what was so powerful from the HAEYC conference? Can you share your experience from the conference? Since this is one of the only early childhood conferences available on Hawaii, what do you think should always be part of the conference in order to support the learning of administrators?

    Also, your observations of the Sumison's article highlight ways of working with governments as well as becoming advocates. How might you create a session for teachers and administrators at HAEYC which introduces and discusses these ideas? How might this change the conversation and actions of both administrators and teachers?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete