Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reflections for week of September 28

I can sincerely relate with the Chapter 5 reading this week. Our program experienced a series of staff shortages for approximately two years. It felt like staff were entering and leaving through a revolving door. The current economic situation has changed this for many programs that struggled with staff retention. We welcomed three new staff to our roster for the 2009-2010 program year - one was a newly created position. All other staff (approximately 55) are returning staff. This is phenomenal!! When new staff transition into the program, managers need to allow time for a the individual to acclimate into the Head Start world of policies, procedures, and federal paperwork. Returning staff means that managers can now work on other aspects of staff development, fine tuning various areas specific to quality interactions, environment and setting, parent involvement, working with children with special needs, etc.

Head Start programs are required to conduct a wage comparative study that reflect local programs within the service area. I'm in the process of collecting data right now to complete this process. Once the data is collected, I work closely with my agency's HR Director to determine what the salary scale will look like for my program. My goal is to identify the highest paid program, the lowest paid program, and those in between. Head Start wants to offer competitive wages, so I gear our salaries to fall in between the highest and lowest. Many directors are not comfortable to share the information of staff wages. This can create a barrier to reach my goal of creating an accurate study. This year, I collaborated with the Maui County Early Childhood Resource Coordinator to create a wage study for Maui County. The report, which reflects wages that were averaged, and does not list program names to maintain confidentiality, supported my effort to complete this task. The bonus is that I obtained by-in from the programs, and we were able to share the report with other programs to implement for their own use. Win-win - makes for great partnerships in the community. So important!!!

November 2009 will mark my year four of being a director. According to our text, the "Stages Given by Anthony" on page 91 indicate that I'm in "Stage 3: Leading and Balancing". Learning how to lead is a process. If you're too soft and compassionate, sometimes staff will walk all over you. If you're too strict, sometimes staff will consider you unapproachable. Balancing is key - I use my practice that I implemented in the classroom as a teacher - firm and loving. Staff, like children, thrive on routine. I want my staff to be able to approach me with any topic, issue, concern, and know that I'm always available to listen. My goal is to encourage staff to become independent thinkers, and to feel confident in their abilities. I want their voices to be heard, and for them to know what a tremendous impact they have in the lives of young children. I have learned SO MUCH during my first three years, and I will continue to grow and learn as an administrator of an early childhood program. Some days are easier than others - but everyday is completely rewarding!

Regarding the benefits for staff, I am concerned with the lack of a well designed retirement plan. My agency offers great benefits for staff - we have a 401K plan. This is fine, however I'm wondering if it's enough for individuals to plan for a comfortable retirement. As for the present time, even the state is beginning to dissect the retirement benefits for union workers. As it stands, the state provides a great retirement benefit package - however it's currently in scrutiny due to the economic situation.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie:
    All I can say is keep it up! Coming from the classroom and transitioning into the directors chair, you are able to understand the teachers role and have been in their shoes to know what they are facing as well. Being compasionate, yet a boss is great! Balancing everything must be hard but seems like you are doing great!
    Salaries are always the issue in early childhood. Besides salaries, it is also benefits that everyone looks for. I think it's great that you are doing research within the community. Keep up the good work!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,
    Your experience with a little staff turnover and recognition of how this impacts professional development offers all of us something to consider. What do you think are the essential characteristics that might influence staff to return to your center? Does it relate to community? Does it relate to relationship? Something else?

    You also share something interesting pathways for the teachers in professional development. How might technology influence the construction of some of these professional development opportunities? This past week there were articles relating to technology in the Exchange. Could some of these ideas become part of thoughtful professional development?

    As you develop your wage comparison report, would you be willing to share some of your findings with us? This might add to our conversations as developing administrators and advocates.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that is truly terrible is to have limited staff when working with young children. The more eyes the better when it comes to looking after young children. They are so fast and so small it is nearly impossible to keep up with an entire classroom with a small staff. It can also be very dangerous. I know that at the preschool I worked at some of the children figured out how to open the gates and would try to get them open sometimes and we would have to constantly make sure no one was fidgeting around with the gate, being that it was right next to the driveway.
    The children loose out as they will get less attention because of the limited number of teachers around. Working with children with a limited staff can be really stressful because it is not like an office job where everyone will just have more tasks or it will take longer to do all the work, there is no slowing down when working with children they all need you the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your input from a director's stand point. It's an accomplishment to keep and maintain such a high number of returning staff. I found the wage comparison study you mentioned really interesting. I am a single mother of four, and I've worked at a hotel for almost 23 yrs. I just started working part time at Head Start. I wasn't able to let go of the hotel job yet because the asst teacher position pays less, and the medical was way too expensive. My medical is covered for myself and my family 100% at the hotel. Ideally, I would like to leave the hotel and work at a preschool full-time, but I have to be sure I can still provide for my family. I do love my job and being with the children, but the wages and benefits are a priority as well because of my family.

    ReplyDelete