Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Week of September 21, 2009

Aloha Friends,
It was a crazy Monday - which is usually the case, no matter how well I plan. It's usually the unplanned that stirs up situations that require my undivided attention. One of my staff (a lead teacher) needed to stay one hour after ending her workday due to a parent that over-slept and did not pick up her children (2 siblings). After several attempts to contact others on her authorized pick-up list, which were unsuccessful, the only resort left to contemplate was to contact police due to abandonment. In my heart, I was equally concerned about mom - where the heck was the woman and why is she not responding to her cell phone calls?? The situation grew in frustration on so many levels. I think that most impacting was the uncertainty of what would happen to the children in her absence. I did not want the police to remove the children, however my options were limited.
Mom finally showed up after one hour of missing in action. She was quite apologetic, especially to the teacher. I anticipate contacting her tomorrow to reiterate how important it is to add more individuals onto her pick-up list...and another lesson learned - make sure to have a street address just in case you need to ask police to check on a mom that may have overslept at home. A director has hundreds of "balls" to juggle, trying hard to not allow any of them to drop. Decisions, considerations, ethical or not...every single move requires a process of weighing options. Decker's "clean and sequential ideas of administration" may not cover what to do in situations like the one I experienced today. Would you have contacted the police or just waited until mom woke up? This is a tough call and one that I don't take lightly. My own personal goal is to assess each family through their actions. This is not a judgment, but a means to determine if a child is safe at home with the parent, or if an intervention support is needed. As a Head Start program, we cannot (I cannot) turn my head in another direction when situations like this are presented. Parents need to be held accountable for their actions, and their responsibility as parents require being present. If a parent cannot be present, they need to have a plan "B" in place as back-up. The consequence impacts their child's sense of security - a hefty price to pay. My role as director is to insure that each child has a safe home. I have called Child Protective Services to make reports in the past. This is not an easy task and can leave a person feeling sick. When I weigh my options, I always visit my inner gut feeling - that quite voice that talks you through the toughest of times. When my intuition says to call, I move on that thought. At this point, I would have already considered all facts presented before me. My goal is not to remove the child from the home - it's to bring light to a situation that is dark; to hopefully be the catalyst to guide a family to be present and attentive to the needs of their children.
The Head Start program is GREAT! I love the way systems help to support families and children. There is a frustrating side to Head Start - in my opinion, it's the fact that the program is directly embedded with political connections. I always felt that early childhood and politics do not mix - and I still feel that way. For those of you involved in the ELC (Early Learning Council) process, you are fully aware of how politics and early childhood can impact the whole. In my opinion, adults - namely lawmakers, each have their own personal focus on where funds are earmarked to be spent. Programs designed for children and families should not be placed in a position to justify itself, yet it is - time after time - despite all the research, reports, data, and statistics available. Early childhood professionals have been battling this message for years, and we are still in a position to prove the importance of quality education for birth to 8.
Going back to Head Start, we do have a large following of staff across the United States. Head Start operates on a grassroots approach. Parents are encouraged to become advocates for their child and for the program. Parents are recognized as their child's first teacher, therefore respected to offer a great deal of knowledge to teachers and to the overall program. When an effort requires attention, parents are utilized as a means to get the point across. I have seen this process work time and time again. In the case of the NRS (National Reporting System) testing, I saw staff and administrators speaking out. Piece by piece, the message grows in energy and takes on a life of its own. It turns into a living, breathing entity, determined to interject change. The NRS situation was successful, however this outcome is not always the case. In several circumstances, the last say remains with the "Secretary", which in Head Start terms is the President of the United States, or the law as written as the Head Start Act of 2007. This lengthy document (you almost need a degree in law to understand the language) details the most recent re-authorization of the Head Start program.
As complex as the Head Start program can be, I still feel a sense of pride to be part of this amazing effort. Several factors remain intact, including parent involvement and child focus. When my intent is channeled towards these particular areas, I gain a renewed sense of dedication as an administrator. I realize that my role is greater than the political inconveniences and vow to work through any barriers presented. What I receive in the end is a means to operate a program to the best of my abilities. Even days like today are precious - it keeps me in check, accountable to each child and family entrusted to my care.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbi,
    Your story is a powerful story illustrating the ethical side of being an administrator. I wonder how it could be turned into an Exchange article.

    You also reveal how the clean directions shared through the Decker text can be challenged as life happens around those rules and regulations. What might your experience help others discover in regards to the limitations of rules and regulations?

    The mixture of early childhood and the political is something that is ever present in Hawaii and, I would say, education across the country. Should education be so political? How can program evolve and grow if policymakers are the people making the decisions about programs? Should administrators support teachers being activist beyond the classroom?

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,

    Wow! I thought I had a hard week. It's really hard to makes those kinds of decisions, but if you think about we as administrators and teachers need to think for the safety of ours students. Also to make sure that their home environment is a safe environment for them to live in. So do what you need to do for the safety of your student. ;-D

    ReplyDelete